The next PTR build should have a round of changes aimed at addressing various concerns with Frost. The major issues we're focused on are:
- The spec is too dominated by 冰龙吐息 (which has knock-on effects on talent choice throughout the tree).
- 冰龙吐息, when you do use it, can be maintained for far too long. In addition to causing the talent/legendary lock-in around it, it means the demand for continuous time on target is very strict for extended periods of time.
- The spec has many talents/legendaries that (individually or taken together) flood it with resources. Breath contributes to this by encouraging you to take all of them, but it's also a problem on its own.
- Talent balance generally has to be reviewed, especially after addressing all of the time.
- We're trying to limit the scope of the changes in the patch, to address the above without opening up the core rotation for changes.
- All damage abilities increased by 27%
- 饥饿符文武器 (L58) and 冰川突进 (L100) swapped positions
冰龙吐息 damage increased by 10%
We want to preserve the identity of 冰龙吐息
, including the steady resource drain being the main limiting factor, and the expression of skill in optimizing around that. So in trying to avoid less natural solutions like capping the duration or redesigning how it works, we're trying to limit the talent/legendary synergies that cause huge variance in how long Breath can be maintained. And breaking the 冰龙吐息
interaction, on its own, goes a very long way toward making Breath's duration more reasonable again. DPS adjustment for the change is being put mostly into the baseline spec rather than into the power of Breath, because it's currently so far ahead of other setups.
- 杀戮效率 (L56->L57), 冰霜脉冲 (L57->L90), and 符文调谐 (L90->L56) swapped positions
- 饥饿符文武器 duration 12s (from 15s) and additionally grants 20% haste
- 错误修正: 饥饿符文武器 correctly generates a Rune every 1.5s instead of every 1s
- 杀戮效率 chance 50% (from 65%)
- 寒冬号角 cooldown 45s (from 30s)
- 库尔迪拉的新意志 generates 1 Rune (from 2) and now causes Obliterate to deal 10% extra damage
Using even a small subset of all of the above effects causes the rotation to be quite flooded. They are all being either weakened in power (with compensation to the baseline spec), or given non-resource-granting effects for part of their value. In addition, the two most egregious offenders (杀戮效率
) can no longer be taken together.
Overall, there should now be a much broader set of talent combinations that produce a good-feeling rotation in which there are resources to do something on most GCDs, but you're still able to spend them down. Including, for example, during 饥饿符文武器
, which is overly hectic or frustrating right now when you can't spend all of its resources.
In addition, the talent rearrangement puts Frozen Pulse on a row with two predominantly AoE talents, which is a better home for it. The Frozen Pulse/冰冷之爪
("machinegun") synergy is preserved, but can no longer be taken alongside 符文调谐
NB: The Hungering Rune Weapon bug may be fixed on live shortly as well, after we test the fix and analyze the impact.
- 冰冷之爪 bonus 15% (from 10%)
- Shattering Strikes bonus 60% (from 40%)
- 冰冻之雾 effect 20% (from 30%)
- 湮没 duration 10s (from 8s)
- Frozen Pulse damage reduced by 39%
Minor talent rebalancing to match the above rearrangements and talent changes; numbers are likely to be updated as the rest of the changes settle into place.
Breath can retain its role as a talent that encourages building around it to some degree (and its synergies with things like 符文调谐
, and 死灵狂想家的印记
are preserved). But without the overpowering 饥饿符文武器
interaction, there is a lot more room for other builds to compete, and we've buffed the spec's baseline damage a great deal to shift the landscape towards all talents being closer together in DPS. A
s always, we'll continue to examine all of these changes based after people can start to test them on PTR.
EDIT: Added Frozen Pulse change which was missed when I copied changes into the post earlier. As with the other changes, this is meant to make Frozen Pulse balanced within its new row, and meant to be accounted for in the overall DPS increase above.