Frost Mage Talents
This section of the Frost Mage guide provides an overview of all talents, information on which talents work well in different situations, and popular builds in Wowhead's talent calculator. This guide is written and maintained by Malon, who raids with <Omen> on Emerald Dream EU; his lifelong ambition is to have the Warlock class renamed to 'Fuzzy Cuddlebears'. Find him on
mage forums. Updated for the latest patch.
Rotation & Abilities
Macros & Addons
Tips & Tricks
A sample leveling talent build can be found below. Note that this is advisory and these talents can be switched out; for example,
can be taken over
A sample raiding build can be found below:
Tier 1 Talents
- Channels a beam at the target over 10 seconds. This deals increasing damage over time and slows the target.
- Removes your Water Elemental but increases the damage of
- Each attempted application of a chill effect on a target increases your Frost damage by 0.5%, up to a maximum of 6%. Lasts for six seconds.
is a solid talent; however,
's massive buff to your own direct damage is difficult to pass up, despite the loss of
generation from your Elemental.
is only competitive with extremely high levels of haste, and using it optimally takes a great deal of practice.
Tier 2 Talents
- Gives Blink two charges, takes it off the global cooldown and makes its usable while casting.
- Enables you to cast while moving. Three charges.
increases your Armor by 100% while active, and
to you when it ends.
The choices here are very difficult.
is a fantastic upgrade to
; the importance of extra manoeuvrability cannot be overstated. However,
is simply the best movement spell in the game, despite Frost's already-high number of instant cast spells. Both are strong options, but
is generally superior, as Frost's large number of instant spells grants high mobility over short distances.
's effect on PvE survivability is negligible.
Note: It is possible to get more than the normal three charges out of
, if long distances need to be crossed. Begin casting a spell; when it is almost complete (around 0.5 seconds left on the cast), use
. Do the same on the next two spells. These will not consume the buff and so you can cast while moving for five spells.
Tier 3 Talents
- Creates copies of you which will attack your enemies for 40 seconds. Enemies will prefer to attack them instead of you.
- Places a Rune on the ground for 10 seconds. All damage you deal while standing inside is increased by 40%. Two charges.
- Steadily increases the damage you deal while in combat, up to 20%, and then decreases to 4%. This cycle repeats every 10 seconds.
is a passive option but the strongest on this tier for Frost, as our cooldowns don't line up well with either other spell.
can be stacked with abilities like
for high burst if required.
Tier 4 Talents
- Deals high damage to a target and half damage to other enemy targets, freezing them in place.
- Increases your chance to generate
deal more damage and hit a second nearby target for 80% of that damage.
On a purely single-target encounter,
should be chosen for the extra
generation. On any cleave (two-to-three target) fight, use
. For fights with burst area-of-effect requirements,
can be taken, but Frost Mages already have several spells that can fill this burst AoE niche. The other talents are usually superior.
Tier 5 Talents
- Your chilling effects reduces the target's movement speed by a further 15%.
- An area-of-effect incapacitate, for 10 seconds, placed with a targeting reticle.
- Gives Frost Nova two charges.
None of these talents are of much, if any, use in a raid environment. We recommend
to help with add control.
Tier 6 Talents
- Places a bomb on the target for 12 seconds.
s that benefit from
(i.e. cast with
or after a Brain Freeze-Flurry) will cause the bomb to explode and deal damage to all nearby enemies.
- Grants your
a 20% chance to explode and deal additional damage to the target and all nearby enemies.
- Increases Blizzard's damage by 30% and area of effect by 20%.
is theoretically the preferred choice for single target and cleave (one or two target) encounters. Both Frost Bomb and Arctic Gale are viable for area-of-effect fights;
when you can use the spell on a target that will stay alive for the duration, and Gale when not. Gale is, generally, the most popular choice in Nighthold.
Tier 7 Talents
increases the duration of
by two seconds.
- Combines five
into a spike of ice that deals massive damage to the target and freezes it in place for four seconds.
no longer fires
- Calls down seven comets around the target, each dealing 100% of your spellpower as damage to all nearby enemies.
is competitive at high levels of gear, with lots of Haste and Mastery. Otherwise,
is superior. Void is especially suited to high movement fights and those where you can guarantee a lot of
casts: for example, AoE encounters where you can make full use of
. Note that using
, or against a target affected by Winter's Chill (from
), counts as using it against a frozen target.
A note about
, if you do use it: it can be made to double dip from damage buffs. For instance, a buff like
will increase the power of a
, generating a larger
. This Icicle will increase the damage of
, which will also directly benefit from the original damage buff. With Splitting Ice, Glacial Spike's damage and cleave will both hit two targets, making it a strong levelling ability.
is strong for burst and area-of-effect damage, if you aren't comfortable playing with Thermal Void.
Fire Mage Talents
Arcane Mage Talents
Warlords of Draenor Druid Changes
Mechanical Hunter Pet Guide
Elementals in Draenor: An In-Depth Guide to Elemental Shaman
Warlords of Draenor Death Knight Changes
Beast Mastery Hunter Artifact Challenge Guide
Arms Warrior Artifact Challenge
Fury Warrior Artifact Challenge
Restoration Shaman Artifact Challenge
Discipline Priest Artifact Challenge Guide
Guardian Druid Artifact Challenge
Warlords of Draenor Follower Guide
Heirloom Collections Guide
Warlords of Draenor Legendary Ring Guide
Hidden Artifact Weapon Appearances and Effects
Draenor Pathfinder: How To Unlock Flying in Draenor
WoW's 10th Anniversary (November 21 - January 13)
Mists of Pandaria: Cooking Overview
Quick Tips for Tanks in Highmaul
Nythendra Raid Boss Strategy Guide
All Transmog Sets for Paladins
[Enjoying our collection of Guides? Try
to support the site, get an ad-free experience, and get premium features!]
Final Fantasy XI
© 2017 ZAM Network LLC