Frost Mage Rotation and Priorities
This section of the Frost Mage guide provides an overview of all spec abilities, when and how to use them. This guide is written and maintained by Malon, who raids with <Omen> on Emerald Dream EU; his lifelong ambition is to have the Warlock class renamed to 'Fuzzy Cuddlebears'. Find him on
Rotation & Abilities
Macros & Addons
Tips & Tricks
(if casting will not over-cap
, if enemies that can be rooted are nearby and you will not over-cap
(talent), if you have at least one
). Follow immediately with
if you have no charges of
. This can be cast while you are casting Frostbolt. Aim to hit two Frostbolts on the target while Water Jet is being channeled
apply a frozen effect to the target. This means that you will want to get rid of all of your
charges before casting a Brain Freeze-Flurry, and then immediately follow the cast with an
. World latency and spell travel times mean that it is also possible for a Frostbolt to get the benefit of Winter's Chill; simply cast the Frostbolt and immediately follow it with a Brain Freeze-Flurry. This is a simple method to drastically improve your damage.
A sample opener for raiding would look like this:
Dump Fingers of Frost charges with
Dump Fingers of Frost charges with
Your cleave rotation is identical to your single target rotation, but you should take the
talent. Frost Mages excel at two-target cleave encounters.
talent (with at least two
Maintain your single target rotation until one of the above spells comes off of cooldown.
is an additional offensive area-of-effect spell. However, it suffers from poor scaling and is generally not worth casting over
until you are hitting around 10 targets. It is worth using if you need the powerful (70%) snare, though.
is our go-to talent in tier 7. The aim when using it is to extend
as much as possible. In order to do this, ensure that you have the maximum amount of
is ready to go; and you have
available before using Icy Veins.
If you're able to stand within 15 yards of the boss during
, you can 'trick' the game and use get Shattered Ice Lances out of every Brain Freeze proc, in order to extend your Icy Veins further. Simply Flurry (with Brain Freeze) and then cast Ice Lance twice. This is only possible with very high levels of haste, so generally can only be performed during Time Warp and/or Icy Veins, or with a trinket proc, the Troll racial (
), etc. You will also need to adjust your spell queue settings. For more information, see
- A raid-wide haste buff. Co-ordinate its use with your group!
- Increases your spell casting speed by 30% for 20 seconds.
- Blocks all damage and cancel most harmful effects, but you are rooted in place. Use to avoid deadly boss abilities.
- A shield that can be pre-cast before starting a fight. Its duration is longer than its cooldown. Use it when you know that you are going to take damage.
- Reduces your threat against all targets over three seconds, then drops you out of combat.
- Instantly resets the cooldown of many of your other defensive abilities, including
- Use to move around the battlefield quickly and avoid damage.
- Interrupt an enemy target's spell cast
- Blocks an enemy target into a sheep. They cannot attack or cast spells while this is active, but damage breaks the effect. Use it to lock down a dangerous target while your group deals with its friends.
- Steal a helpful magical effect from an enemy and gain the benefit from it instead. Always be on the lookout for buffs to steal!
- Lock a group of targets in place. Useful as an escape tool, but make sure that you aren't freezing enemies next to your healer!
- Avoid falling damage
Teleport/Portal spells - Use to send yourself or your group to a major city.
- Create food that will restore health and mana. Hand it out to your allies if they ask for it.
Back to Top
Fire Mage Rotation and Priorities
Arcane Mage Rotation and Priorities
Beast Mastery Hunter Artifact Challenge Guide
Holy Paladin Artifact Challenge
Retribution Artifact Challenge: The God-Queen's Fury
Warlords of Draenor Druid Changes
Elementals in Draenor: An In-Depth Guide to Elemental Shaman
Vengeance Mage Tower Challenge
Restoration Druid Artifact Challenge Guide
Survival Hunter Artifact Challenge
Windwalker Monk Artifact Challenge Guide
Holy Priest Artifact Challenge Guide
Warlords of Draenor Follower Guide
Heirloom Collections Guide
Warlords of Draenor Legendary Ring Guide
Hidden Artifact Weapon Appearances and Effects
Draenor Pathfinder: How To Unlock Flying in Draenor
Cathedral of Eternal Night Dungeon Strategy Guide
Legion Assaults - Defender of the Broken Isles Guide
Pet Battle Dungeon and 7.2 Pets
WoW's 10th Anniversary (November 21 - January 13)
Mists of Pandaria: Cooking Overview
[Enjoying our collection of Guides? Try
to support the site, get an ad-free experience, and get premium features!]
Final Fantasy XI
© 2017 ZAM Network LLC